With the Easter holidays just around the corner, trees in bloom and the promise of sunny spring days, it’s hard not to start planning some much needed fresh air to blow the cobwebs away and get some outdoorsy fun in with the family.
Now that Cogges has reopened for the new season, we’ve picked our TOP TEN things to do to make the most of this awesome springy weather, so wrap up, bring your wellies, pack a picnic and go wild in some seriously gorgeous nature (cute farm animals included, obviously!).
1. Discover hidden giant Easter nests that are appearing all over Cogges made from natural materials and using traditional rural skills
2. Dress-up and pretend to be woodland creatures who might make their home in the different nests and shelters
3. Follow the Easter trail or uncover hidden eggs in the pop-up play barn
4. Be a mini farmer driving around the farmyard on your pint-size tractor, or dig in the sandpit and practise those (de)construction skills.
5. Hold a deep philosophical conversation with Timothy the pigmy goat, but watch out for Louis and Jonathan who like to butt in (particularly when there’s food on offer!)
6. Meet the Sandy & Black piglets, as well as fluffy rabbits and guinea pigs and orphaned sheep; Topsy, Tim and Ted. Lambs will be born at Cogges very soon, but they haven’t arrived yet (eeek!)
7. Find out about the secrets of Cogges’ welsh cakes every weekend in the manor house
8. Defend the Cogges castle play fort and zip wire in the woods
9. Make your own nests at Woodland Club every Tuesday in the school holidays before roasting marshmallows over a fire (also find out about the preschool Hedgehog Club during term time)
10. Learn something new – talk to the Cogges volunteers who look after the animals and tend the walled secret garden. Or join one of Science Oxford’s fab workshops on April 10th and regularly throughout the year for fledgling engineers ages 5+.
Event days and family shows at Cogges are also great to discover, starting with Treasure Island on 11th April, Nick Cope Good Friday (tickets going FAST!), Cogges’ brilliant Family Festival 27th May and Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves 28th May. Check the website for more info and tickets.
Everyone has their favourite animal to chat to, or corner of Cogges to run around in, so these are just some of ours. We’d love to hear some of your best Cogges moments! #cogges